Thursday, July 29, 2010

Adjusting

Well once again we are coming to the end of another month. The only difference is that next month will be my last. As of today I have 16 days until I leave Malawi and 17 days until I arrive in Canada. I have been trying to process and prepare myself for returning to Canada and just so I can prepare you all for my return and process what I will probably have problems with I though that I would write down a few of the things I think that I will have "culture shock" with:
1) driving - since Malawi was and British Colony they drive on the left side of the road and the right side of the car. This made confusion for when I came here and I'm sure at least once I will get in on the wrong side of the car in Canada.
2) speaking English - since I wanted to learn Chichewa so badly I made a conscious effort not to speak English whenever I could, however, this is going to create problems when it comes to returning home. Two words I think will be the hardest for me to change: Zikomo kwambiri (thank-you very much) and Pepani (sorry).
3) wearing pants and skirts shorter than the knee - right now I am at SLC and since we are only Azungus I have been wearing pants (which I am started to get used to) and skirts sometimes. However, still when I show a knee I feel as if I am scandalizing the world.
4) shopping - here we don't really have any major supermarkets so I buy a lot of things on the road or at the market. I really enjoy this experience and I think that I will have a hard time with the lack of priority put on socializing in the shopping process. It will also be hard to not have certain items or certain items at such a low price.
5) time - GMT (General Malawi Time as we like to call it) is definitely a better time! I know that I will have troubles adjusting to the time change but also to the change of piority on time. In Malawi if we are meeting at 10 then I will try to leave my house sometime around ten. If I (or they) are 30 mins late that is standard and ok.

On the other hand there are things that I am very excited for! They include:
1) seeing family and friends
2) eating Ice Cream and other dairy products
3) the sun!!!

There are probably more things that need to go on both of these lists but I cannot think of anything else right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment